South Dong Chang Middle School, Pudong, Shanghai
South Dongchang Middle School attached to East China Normal University is located in Pudong New Area, east of Shanghai. It is a public junior school with two campuses. One is in Lujiazui Financial and Trade Zone near the Huangpu River, and the other is in Zhangjiang Hi-Tech Zone. It has been a member of East China Normal University since December 2000.
- Students range in age from 12-15.
- It is one of the schools in Shanghai that is authorised to recruit overseas students.
- It serves a community near the centre of Shanghai which faces a number of challenges, common to many cities around the world.
- The vision of the school is: “to create a happy place to help students to grow”.
- The school is the "education field" to promote the development of students. All aspects of the work in the school are focussed around the development of the education and leadership of students.
- The school is responsible for each student. No student should be left behind. Every student has the opportunities to develop to their own level.
- The school is responsible for helping students grow in a healthy way. Healthy growth means that students develop in all aspects, including their personal skills.
- The school is a happy place for students. The school will continue to carry out "appreciation education" with its focus on a child’s strengths and fortes and building upon them. Teachers are expected to be good at discovering these strengths and stimulating their potential effectively. We encourage students to have their own best way of learning and we develop and enable students to experience the joy of learning and growth.
The curriculum in the school provides students with such opportunities to develop themselves and we look towards each student’s development over their lifetime, with every student allowed to learn and develop in the way that most suits them.
The school’s effective integration of resources from both East China Normal University and the surrounding community help give the students the opportunity to expand their horizons and improve their international awareness. The school is working hard to establish an E-Learning Centre and to offer distance education assisted learning courses for the students. According to different students’ interests and hobbies, the school has developed the curriculum system which has a variety of courses including:
- Basic courses involve Chinese, maths, English, science, physical, chemistry, biology, geography, history, society, arts, music, sports, crafts and ICT.
Expanding courses involve calligraphy, reading, English listening and speaking, swimming, weiqi (Chinese version of “Go”), etc. The school also offers optional courses, which are designed by teachers themselves, such as leadership skills, language courses for French, and German taught by foreign instructors, oil painting, literature, DIY, model making, table tennis, badminton, choir, dancing, creative painting, the brass band and a bilingual science fair.
June 2012 visit
June 2014 - Shanghai comes to Cranford
Berkeley Academy was privileged to be presented with an incredible performance by the whole group. The concert featured Chinese folk dance and music, some join- in songs for the pupils at Berkeley and more beautiful piano music. The applause was rapturous. Alongside the visits to schools, the group had a great time in Bath, Stonehenge, Brighton, Oxford and London, where they saw the Changing of the Guard and other famous sights. We look forward to welcoming them back again soon.
dizi (wooden flute)
hulusi (gourd flute)