APPLYING TO UNIVERITY 2015/16 CYCLE
The UCAS Process.
What is UCAS?
- The University and College Admissions Service.
How does it work?
- Register online.
- Students choose what and where to study. Course Search at www.ucas.com. Your decision is informed by attending Open Days, Taster Courses, personal research - online and in prospectuses (in the Study Centre).
UCAS application is completed online. It costs £23, payable by card when application is complete. The application includes five pieces of vital information:
- Personal details (DoB, address, etc.)
- Up to five choices of university/college
- Academic qualifications (GCSE and AS results, and exams to be taken)
- Personal statement
- School reference
- When completed your application is sent to UCAS by the school and they send it on to your chosen universities. (Each of your choices does not know who else you have chosen).Universities consider your application and decide whether to make you an offer.
- Some universities may invite students for interview.
- From the offers made, students accept a Firm offer and an Insurance offer. The Insurance offer should be lower than the Firm offer.
- Some university offers are based on A level grades and some make an offer based on the UCAS tariff. A2 at grade A* is 140pts, grade A is 120pts, grade B is 100pts, etc. AS levels are half the points of an A level.
- When results are published universities decide whether students have met the offer and students decide whether to accept places.
DEADLINES AND IMPORTANT DATES
|2nd September 2015||Year 13 UCAS Induction Day|
|Mid-September 2015||Applications can be submitted to UCAS|
|15th October 2015||Oxford, Cambridge, medicine, dentistry, veterinary medicine and veterinary science|
|October/November 2015||Admissions tests for certain subjects/universities|
|4th December 2015||Cranford internal deadline|
|15th January 2016||UCAS deadline|
|24th March 2016||Art & Design courses without a deadline of 15th January|
|May 2016||Reply to offers (if all received by 31st March)|
|18th August 2016||Exam results published and futures decided|